Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

This is my first post on the blog of the new year! Frohe neues jahr 2009, yeah, that was German. Today, I went to the Israeli embassy to protest ongoing violence in the Gaza Strip and the protest moved to the Egyptian embassy. My friend Jenn (from my history of Middle East and North Africa class that I took sophomore year) and I got on some news program, that was kind of cool. 

When we were at the Egyptian embassy, people threw shoes at the building, for those who don't know, showing the soles of shoes or throwing shoes is a sign of disrespect in the Middle East. Though I support a ceasefire and peace, other people at the protest voiced their opinions of Israel being a terrorist state and Bush being equated to Hitler. Other than that, nothing bad happened! 

Yesterday, I hung out with my friend Pia, a German au pair who lives in Bethesda. Her family had a New Year's party, and I met another au pair from South Africa. I was still recovering from New Year's, so much partying in such a short period of time!

No comments: