Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Facebook!

I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I have to be on it because people want me to go to events, keep in contact with them, and socialize without any actual human interaction. It is the bane of my existence! Social networking sites are seeping into all facets of life, and it is now acceptable for people in my generation to think that texting, Tweeting, updating your Facebook status while using the toilet, having sex, giving birth, or other private activities.

I am by no means off the grid, I have a blog, a Twitter account, and a Facebook page. But, I have yet to check my phone while being intimate, live-blog a birth while urging someone to continue with their Lamaze breathing, or Tweet while on the toilet. When I deactivated my Facebook page, I felt like I had been severed from my group of friends and was a pariah. But, it felt GREAT! I wasn't constantly checking my page, and writing inane messages to people that I hardly talk to. My social life was thoroughly mine again, I was in control.

One day, I hope to ween myself of Facebook once again. I lasted one year off of the grid last time I shut it down, and it was a piece of cake.

No comments: